Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Trial and... ERROR!

So, I said I would tell you about the new things we've been trying.... here's a word to the wise:

Since we've been trying to eat much less meat, my kids were begging for some chicken nuggets, since I haven't given them any for a while.  While I was at Sprouts, I saw some meatless nuggets called Quorn.  I read the ingredients.  It said they were made from mycoprotein and the labels lead me to believe that mycoprotein was a fungus much like a mushroom.  Well, we brought them home, made them and they tasted EXACTLY like a chicken nugget!  My kids loved them.  I even took a picture of them eating them:



So after lunch  I got online to research this "mycoprotein" stuff that tasted so much like chicken! And... I found tons of controversy about it. :(  Basically, it's not like a mushroom at all.  It's like a bacteria and some people have become violently ill from eating it!  It scared me to death. I felt like the worst mom in the world for just feeding my kids something and trusting dumb labels when I know better than that! I was terrified that one of my kids was gonna start vomiting, but luckily nobody got sick.  There is an article about it here that will help you understand the controversy a little more.  But when I read all of the reviews from people who had become sick, I decided never to touch that stuff again!  Just thought I would let my readers know, so that you don't make the same mistake :/

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing that article. My vegan friend has talked about quorn on her blog before. It sounds like they eat it quite often... I wouldn't worry too much about it. It sounds like it's pretty harmless, although it is better to be safe than sorry =)

    ReplyDelete